Make Award Winning Chili Recipe
Are you looking to make what your family and friends thinks is an award winning chili recipe? Check below for the link for our favorite homemade chili recipe to make for chili cookoffs. You might decide to use your own chili powder recipe when you make your own easy ditch oven recipes.
Tips & Techniques
Check out some of our tips, techniques and shortcuts. Be successful, winning an award and have fun making your chili recipe. Making and eating chili in my home is usually a family affair. Chili is so versatile. There are many easy and simple recipes for this wonderful dish.
We hope these tips and techniques help you put together an award winning chili recipe.
Try an Award Winning Chili Recipe Today
Best Chili Recipe for Chili Cookoffs
Great Homemade Chili Recipe for a Chili Cookoff
My Favorite Knife
Cooks Illustrated Magazine listed this Victorinox 8 inch chef's knife as a great buy. They raved about this knife's sharp edge and low price. I had to try it. It is very inexpensive.
As usual, they were right. I have had this knife for several months now. I find myself reaching for it for everything - chopping onions, peppers, meat, etc. It is my knife of choice for everything. Check it out and order one today. Victorinox 8-Inch Chef's Knife, Black Fibrox Handle
What do I cook my chili in?
Depending on the recipe I use a dutch oven or a crock pot. If you do not already own one you have lots of choices an options. After cooking many, many pots of chili here is what I recommend.
The Dutch Oven
I consider a dutch oven to be a kitchen essential. I use it for my chili recipes, soups, stews, pot roasts and other easy dutch oven recipe. Before I bought my dutch oven I researched what America's Test Kitchen recommended. Here is what they said
- The Winner -
Le Creuset 7 1/4-Quart Round French Oven
They consider it to be the winner. It is considered by many to be the gold standard of dutch ovens. I own this dutch oven and I absolutely love it.
- Best Buy -
Tramontina 6.5-Qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven
It is inexpensive and it passed all their kitchen tests with flying colors. I have many friends who have bought this dutch oven and are very happy with it.
How to thicken chili?
You made this delicious pot of chili and it just seems too thin. Here are a few ideas to thicken your chili.
- if your chili has beans pull out some of the beans and puree them. Add back to chili and cook a few minutes.
- Crush some tortilla chips or fritos and add to the chili. Start with a few chips and see if that is enough. Be careful because the chips do have salt and too many chips could make the chili too salty.
- add corn meal, a teaspoon at a time
- remove the cover and cook the chili for an additional 15 - 30 minutes to reduce and concentrate the liquid.
What goes well with Chili or what should I serve with chili?
We offer several options in our section titled
In this section we provide a lot of different options for toppings, what to serve chili on and some excellent side dishes that go great with chili.
How to cool a recipe with too many chili peppers?
- Add another can of tomatoes, tomato sauce or some tomato paste depending on the thickness of the chili
- Peel potato, cut into 4 pieces with your favorite knife and add to chili. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the potato. The potato will absorb some of the heat and the salt. Taste to see if more salt is needed.
- Serve with a dairy product such as cheese or sour cream. Dairy is a capsicin blocker. Capsaicin is a chemical compound that makes chili peppers taste hot.
For additional and outstanding information on honest ratings of equipment and supermarket ingredients, kitchen tips and other recipes check out
I subscribe to this site. It is very helpful and chocked full of information. They have sections on recipes with step by step instructions and kitchen equipment, like the best knife to use, etc.
The Best Chili Recipe to make an Award Winning Chili Recipe
From Chili Recipe - Award Winning back to Chili Recipes
Click here to go back to top of award winning chili recipe page